This recipe has been one of my go to's for almost a decade! It makes for a fuss-free lunch, perfect for a packed picnic, or double up on the recipe and bring to a family gathering or pot luck! For a heartier meal, try adding fresh grilled chicken, prawns, or steak–YUM!
Thai Bone Broth Infused Quinoa Salad
Adapted from Once Upon A Chef Recipe
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 & 2/3 cup any High-Vibe bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint or basil (optional)
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, from 3-4 limes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less if you don't like heat)
- Add quinoa and 1-2/3 cups broth to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Transfer to a serving bowl and let cool in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, make the dressing by combining the lime juice, fish sauce, olive oil, coconut sugar and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add the red bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, scallions, fresh herbs and dressing. Toss well, then taste and adjust seasoning with more sea salt, and lime juice if necessary. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad keeps well for several days in the fridge.