bone broth · bone broth soup · leek · potato · potato leek · Recipes · soup · vegan · vegetarian ·
Creamy Potato and Leek Bone Broth Soup
This Recipe is Comfort Food at it's finest... AND really, really, really nourishing.
Whether you're into nutritious eating or not, vegetarian or not, vegan or not, this recipe can be tweaked to be in congruent with just about any eating style your beautiful heart desires.
Furthermore, it's quick, easy, and literally calls for 8 simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand!
We realize that potatoes might not suit everyone's eating style, but they definitely suit ours! Here's why:
- They're a whole food that come from the earth– especially nutritious if you can find potatoes grown in nutrient-rich, un-sprayed soil, like those found from organic or biodynamic farms
- They're rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants, more specifically Vitamin C, which helps with immunity
- They contain potassium, which helps to lower cholesterol levels
- They contain vitamin B6, which helps to improve mood by influencing happy brain chemicals like serotonin and dopamine!
- Using the peel is a good source of fibre, improving overall digestion
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
3 tbsp olive oil
4 C leeks, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 kg (2.2lbs) potatoes, chopped in big chunks
1 tsp dill, dried
4 bay leaves
8 C High-Vibe Health chicken bone broth (or vegetable broth to make this soup vegan)
1 wheel garlic & herb Boursin cheese or your favourite plant based cheese* see recipe note
salt and pepper to taste
* I used Flora Fromage Garlic & herb plant based cheese and the flavour it provided was perfection! Can also use 1 C heavy cream (preferably grass fed dairy) in place of the Boursin cheese.
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat, then sweat leeks for 5-10 minutes or until leeks start to get soft. Add garlic, potatoes, dill, bay leaves, bone broth and a good pinch of salt. Simmer until potatoes are tender (about 25-30 minutes). Roughly crumble the cheese and add to soup. Puree soup in high speed blender (like a Vitamix) or with an immersion blender. Transfer soup back into stock pot and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, drizzle of truffle oil or bacon bits!